Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Bean starts preschool

My two-year old baby is no longer a baby. In fact, she has been classified as a "preschooler." And this week she started preschool.

There are still nights that she comes to our bed at 3 am. She still wants to be rocked to sleep in my arms for her naps. She still needs help putting on her shoes. She can't brush her hair (without making it look worse) and she eats spaghetti with her hands. During the daytime it's "Mommy, mommy, mommy!" almost without pause. She isn't even toilet-trained. But she's no longer a baby.

This week she went off to preschool with no fuss at all. I am still stunned. On Monday I dropped her off and she ran off to play with pom poms in the sensory table. She barely looked up as I kissed her goodbye. When I picked her up that afternoon, she was happy to see me, but appeared completely untraumatized. She was active and happy all day, the teachers told me. She had a great day.

And she napped okay? I asked incredulously.

Apparently, she did.

And that evening, when I asked her if she would like to go back to school, she jumped up and down and said Yes!

Now the Bean has been in daycare before. I went back to work 6 months after her birth, and she was a full-time daycare baby for nearly 2 years. She was happy at her old center. But she'd been home with me full-time for five months. And the past few weeks she'd been acting so clingy. So I dreaded what might ensue during her first week of preschool.

And she proved me wrong, naturally. She took it better than I did. I have stressed, and run around packing sunscreen and hats and diapers, etc. for her cubbyhole at at school, and filling forms, and planning on how to deal with an upset Bean... and she's just fine.

And now I'm home, with a sleeping Legume, wondering how to fill this day.

The Bean is growing up, even if she still refuses to tell me when she needs to potty. And yeah, I should stop referring to her as two years old. She'll be three in only two short months.

No comments: