Thursday, March 13, 2008

Brilliance, deferred

I have been working on some brilliant posts this week. Trenchant political-social commentary. Penetrating insights into issues faced by women in science. A response to Linda Hirshman's latest absurd, completely nonsensical, maddening piece in Slate. All heady stuff. Damn, Slate magazine (or the New York Times) should be asking me to write them opinion pieces.

Of course, all these brilliant essays have been composed only in my head, as I run about the house fetching sippy cups of juice and holding one very cranky baby. The merry-go-round of colds and fevers in this house never seems to stop. Bean-girl came down with the cold first, and my but she is a bear when she has a stuffed-up nose. I thought I was bad when I have a cold, but I have nothing on the melodrama of a 3-yr old.

Now Bean-girl is doing better, but the Baby Legume is sick. With a fever. All day the poor thing has been fussing in my arms, snoozing but then crying every time I tried to lay her down. Only now, an hour or so before midnight, have I been able to sit here at this computer without a baby in my arms.

And, uh, my brain is fried.

Brilliance is going to have to wait. Like so much else in life, it seems.

(pathetic inner sigh)

5 comments:

ScienceGirl said...

Sending some hugs your way!

ScienceMama said...

Boo!! Colds suck! We're sick over here too, and it is rotten.

Many wishes that your family is feeling better soon (and that you get a second to yourself!).

Life As I Know It said...

Ugh, what a bad cold/flu season this has been!
Hoping everyone feels better soon!

arduous said...

I hope things start to calm down soon and you get a chance to breathe!

EcoGeoFemme said...

hang in there!