Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Caribbean vacation

The waters in front of the hotel were clear and calm, sheltered by coral reefs. Those waters are the most amazing color—a vibrant turquoise that is almost green, shifting abruptly to dark blue in the far distance, past the breakers.
Bean-dad and Bean-girl at the beach
On the first day of our vacation, I saw a sting ray leap from the waters. I screamed in excitement, and Husband turned just in time to see the sting ray make its second jump. Bean-girl missed it all. From that moment, though, she was obsessed with seeing a sting ray. A few days later, she got her chance when we took a tour of the reefs in a semi-submersible boat. We saw four sting rays, one green sea turtle, and innumerable fishes. The rays were the most amazing, though—spotted eagle rays, imposingly large, gliding gracefully through the water.

We splashed in the kiddie pools. We played at the beach. Bean-girl lay right down at the edge of the surf, and got knocked down and flipped over for her daring. (But she’s a trooper; didn’t even cry when I grabbed her). Legume experienced the sea for the first time. Everyone got tan.

It was stunningly hot at midday, but mornings and evenings were pleasant with cool ocean breezes. There were large cabanas with white cushions and huge lounge chairs, perfectly sized to hold a cuddling family of four.

Bean-girl loved the Sesame Street shows and activities. I think Baby Legume was simply bemused.

Breakfast with Grover.

It's hard getting both kids to look at the camera!

Gratuitous photo of Legume eating watermelon and chicken nugget.

I think what the girls loved most, though, was having their father to themselves for an entire 6 days.

That, and the bags of pretzels at the hotel mini bar. Bean-girl became completely addicted. Baby Legume liked them, too.



Fell asleep while eating her beloved pretzels.

10 comments:

arduous said...

Oh my gosh! When did the Bean get so big?! She looks so much taller than in those Halloween photos you posted.

Glad everyone had a good time. Glad you're back.

P.S. I had imaginary friends throughout my childhood. I don't think it did any harm. :)

CAE said...

So cute! Glad you had fun and got to make everyone jealous!

ScienceMama said...

Oh my god your girls are beautiful! Seriously, that photo of Baby Legume eating watermelon, I am just in awe of her. And the sleeping Bean-girl with her pretzels is priceless.

I secretly yearn for a beach cabana with cushions for cuddling with Husband and my Bean. It's my dream vacation.

ScienceGirl said...

Yay for a cuddly vacation! Love Baby Legume with the watermelon and the Bean-girl sleeping with pretzels :)

EcoGeoFemme said...

Wow, that place looks incredible. The girls have gotten so big! Especially little Legume. She looks like a big girl instead of a baby.

TheMusingMommy said...

The trip looks fabulous, and it sounds like you had a fantastic time. The photo of Bean-girl with the pretzels is too cute.

science cog said...

Sounds like a great vacation! I'm happy for you. Your girls are soooo cute. Happy Mother's Day.

Mad Hatter said...

What great pictures! So glad you had a great time (even though I'm insanely jealous). :-)

Greg said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
drdrA said...

Wow, oddly I think we have been at the same resort... only weeks earlier.

Awesome for kids!!!