Friday, May 30, 2008

More science blogging soon

And for my fellow scientists: I think I’ll start blogging more about science sometime soon…

Past midnight on Wednesday night, I sent out two e-mail inquiries about jobs I saw advertised at local Up-and-Coming-Research Institute. One job was for a postdoctoral position in a subfield tangentially related to my old interests. The other job was for a Science Writer at the institute. From the written description, the writing job sounds like it might be very similar to the one that CAE at VWXYnot? has.

I heard back from both PIs the next day, and am hammering out the interview details with them. Both PIs have busy summer travel schedules, so the interviews won’t be for some time. Expect plenty of career angst spilled out in pixels in the days to come. Comments will be welcomed.

9 comments:

EcoGeoFemme said...

That's super cool (if it's what you want)! I'm interested to hear how it goes and how you feel about the potential change in your life.

ScientistMother said...

this is going to be 2 comments in one, first congrats on getting such quick feedback from the PI's. Second, totally get the growing up to fast. I still remember the day I realized monkey wasn't a baby anymore, its so bittersweet

CAE said...

Ooh, good luck with both applications! I've met a few people who do similar jobs to me and no two job descriptions are exactly the same. I'd be interested to hear how the interviews go!

The Dad said...

Thanks! I, too, am very curious about the Science Writer position--it's hard to really get a feel for the job until I speak to them in person! Still have not gotten an interview date for that pinned down, but the postdoc interview has been scheduled for early July!

ScienceMama said...

That's so exciting! Good for you! I guess the postdoc must be a fulltime position, but what about the writing position?

The bean-mom said...

Okay, just to clarify: "The dad" is me, the bean-mom. Accidentally logged in under Husband's account.

And Sciencemama--both positions are fulltime. But maybe if I get the writing job (and prove my worth) I could arrange to work from home part time? Okay, enough speculation...

Mad Hatter said...

Hey, that's great news! Good luck with the interviews. I look forward to hearing about them!

PS I'm glad you mentioned you're The Dad--I've been trying to figure out who posted that comment on my blog! :-)

science cog said...

First Congrats. Is it a science writer type job? If so is it what you want? That's the most important thing. Can you get in writing before you sign on what your responsibilities would be since no two jobs like this will be alike? Will the job allow you to do research? The unfortunate reality is that research helps you stay marketable for even the position that emphasize teaching. So it would help if you can do some. This is great news. Keep us posted.

ophelia rising said...

Wow, congratulations! I wish you luck. It sounds exciting and auspicious.

I look forward to hearing what happens with this - keep us posted!