Tuesday, June 17, 2008

job interviews--and now there' s just one...

Even though I haven't yet gone on the interviews, I was still stressing over the possibility of choosing between two very different jobs (and career paths).
Looks like it might be an easier decision than I thought.
My postdoctoral job interview was scheduled for early July, but today I got an e-mail that started off this way:
"My sincerest apologies. It has come to my attention (by the finance department) that the monies I thought I had available to hire a postdoctoral fellow are no longer there. . . "
So now there is just the Science Writer position. left. Strangely, my first response to the e-mail was a sense of relief. I could continue to look into postdoc opportunities with other PIs at the institution, but perhaps the universe is trying to tell me something?

7 comments:

CAE said...

Well, I suppose it does make things easier...

You've mentioned your freelance writing experience before (on here and in an email), so you obviously know that you have the required skills, and (presumably) that you'd enjoy the job. I have no regrets at all about taking my similar job.

Good luck with the interview!

ophelia rising said...

You know, sometimes the universe DOES tell us something. Perhaps, in this case, it's an auspicious direction in which to go.

Good luck! :)

Mad Hatter said...

Sorry to hear about that postdoc position! It's probably not a bad idea to keep looking into other postdoc positions, though. You never know when you might stumble across the perfect job.... Good luck! :-)

Alice said...

Sorry to hear this. I hope something works out soon. Its tough finding something in one city. I wrote some more about my two-body problem and how I found something.

ScientistMother said...

that sucks, though its always nice to have the decision made for you. I would still keep the door open to post-docs, because like the mad hatter says, you never know what you may stumble onto

ScienceMama said...

I don't want to discourage you from looking into other opportunities, but the sense of relief might be telling you that you weren't really looking forward to getting back to the bench... or maybe that's just the biased viewpoint of someone who's looking to escape...

PA said...

If there is one mantra that has served me well through the years it is, "Things will work out."

Things usually work out well, whether despite or because of our plans. I bet you'll love that writing positions. I know it sounds great to me.