Monday, June 30, 2008

These summer days

Summer is a promise. A promise of long, lazy days of sunlight, of farmers’ markets, and beach trips; of strawberry fields and dripping ice cream cones and fuzzy peaches and bubbles blown by my children into the lingering twilight.

It’s a promise that, alas, is never completely fulfilled. Last week I asked another mother if she’d yet been to our town’s new farmers' market, and she said she that she hadn’t. “I always have so many plans for the summer,” she said. “And I never do even half of what I have planned.”

Sing it, sister.

Like today, when Husband announced that we would take a family walk after dinner. We had our dinner outside on the deck, and it was lovely. But afterward Baby Legume was so incredibly, unbelievably encrusted with food (as always) that Husband announced she needed a shower right then. So I gave her one, and one to the Bean-girl, too. And then we were in our PJs. And then the family bed looked so delicious, and Husband collapsed upon it, and the girls giggled and climbed all over him. So… there we were. In bed, watching cartoons in our PJs instead of enjoying the lovely summer weather.

It’s only the end of June, of course, and there are months left to go. But I already know that it will go by too fast.

At least we did get to go strawberry picking this past weekend.



12 comments:

My Storybook Lady said...

Love your Bean Chronicles! I was just asking a friend today that we are supposed to slooww down in the summer, right? That has not been the case here with my little Bean man :o)
He has quite the social schedule and he's only 3 1/2.
Have a great night!
Betty

arduous said...

Cutest. Picture. Ever.

CAE said...

That's one happy kiddie!

EcoGeoFemme said...

What a cute photo! Just want to eat her up!

I feel the same way about summer. I never do all I hope to do.

Life As I Know It said...

It seems the summers always fly by while the winters drag on for eternity.
I love that picture! Adorable!

ScienceMama said...

oh my god i love that pudgy little legume!!!

Nicole said...

Well said. I hoping to go strawberry picking tomorrow.

rana said...

number one baby picture! she's so cute i cannoh stand it!

Matt & Sarah said...

Just wanted to say I happened across your blog via "Am I a Woman Scientist?" and enjoy reading your updates!

Wayfarer Scientista said...

Hi! It's been awhile...I'm catching up. This post reminds me of someone yesterday who when asked "what's new" replied "winter's coming".

ophelia rising said...

That's what's summer is about, anyway, you know? Simple, fun, nothing really planned. Just life, day to day. That's the good stuff, I think.

kiranjee17 said...

On my first visit i really got surprised while stumbling upon these categories of blog reviews written here, i awaited a lot for this and now finally got the solution here only.
buy stilnox