Monday, July 28, 2008

Science job update

Some time ago I wrote this rather swoony post about career fluidity, and about returning to the scientific workforce in some capacity.
Well, I know at least some of you are interested in how that is going. . . So here goes. The one postdoc interview I had lined up was canceled when the position was eliminated due to lack of funds. And I have the feeling that the Science Writer position is headed the same way. After weeks of being put off as to an exact interview date, I finally got this e-mail from an admistrator (a few sentences have been removed to help maintain anonymity):
"I apologize for the delay; however, we have been instructed to hold off on pursuing the applicants for this position. . . I do not know when we will be able to schedule these as this is outside of my control."
Doesn't sound good.

13 comments:

arduous said...

Oh, boo!!!!!!! That blows.

EcoGeoFemme said...

Oh shucks! What a major bummer.

Mad Hatter said...

Oh, no. Sorry to hear that. That really stinks!

ScienceGirl said...

The science job market is not too shabby right now - so sorry it is affecting you too!!

CAE said...

Sorry they're messing you around, for whatever reason. It's so frustrating when they're obviously not giving you all the information, isn't it?

My current job was apparently put on hold for months at a time and advertised a couple of different times under different titles, in different places - so don't give up on this one just yet!

Nicole said...

Crap! What else do you have the hopper?

The bean-mom said...

Thanks for the commiseration, all. I *am* bummed, because I really wanted this job, and it seemed (on paper) like the perfect fit for me.

Cae, your story is hopeful, but I'm not sure I want to wait around months on the off chance that the position might get funded after all, and that I might get called in for an interview. I am looking into other postdoctoral positions at the institute (unless funding for these advertised positions gets pulled, too). Another option is try to ramp up the freelance writing thing. Basically, I am trying to rescue my brain after more than a year at home with the little ones! My kids are so sweet and dear... but unfortunately I do feel my mind going at times...

Science Cog said...

Very sorry to hear this. The economy is not doing well. Sometimes there are too many things out of one's control. Hope something else comes along soon.

ScientistMother said...

that sucks arse, but maybe it means that something better is waiting for you?

ScienceMama said...

BOOOOO!

ophelia rising said...

It's this lousy economy, I tell you. It just sifts down and affects everyone.

Hope something else comes your way. I'll keep you posted on any freelance writing gigs I find!

PA said...

Ooh, that is no good. Hopefully it will work out.

And I was so hoping to be able to read all about that science writing.

ophelia rising said...

So...here's one I just found! I don't know your background, or if you are well-versed in nutritional science or no, but it is a telecommuting job, and sounds interesting. Anyway...

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/wri/759821756.html

Hope it leads to something! I'm keeping my eye open for you.