Thursday, July 31, 2008

Wildness


An unclaimed field nearly bumps up against our lawn, just on the other side of a paved footpath. Our neighborhood is still under development; there are still parcels of unsold land, and so we see scattered plots of wilderness, of prairie grass and wildflowers, growing between and behind the neat, crisp lawns and homes of suburbia.

Queen Anne’s lace grows tall in these wild fields, and red clover, and a little blue flower whose name I do not know. At one point in the early spring, my husband commented on our neighboring field as “unsightly,” but now, in the full lushness of summer, even he has conceded that these patchwork fragments of prairie are really quite lovely.


9 comments:

Joyce said...

The little blue flowers are chicory:)
Hi, I'm Joyce, coming out of lurker-land.

The bean-mom said...

Joyce,

Thanks for coming out of lurkerdom and letting me know!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

In my part of the UK we call Queen Anne's Lace by the name Cow Parsley. I've heard a lot of other different names for the same plant in different regions. I think your version is prettier than ours!

Science Cog said...

Nice pictures. This reminds me of a friend whose house borders corn fields. Dinner at her house always included fresh corn-on-the cob. I wondered if the farmer ever noticed a suspicious absence of corn around her house.

ophelia rising said...

How breathtaking! I just LOVE wildflowers.

TheMusingMommy said...

What a beautiful view. Wildflowers are so nice. Thanks for sharing!

ScienceGirl said...

tag!

ScienceMama said...

I totally want to come live where you live.

Sigh. Beautiful.

The bean-mom said...

Hey, I'm learning botany by blogging! (Thanks again, Joyce and CAE)

Sciencegirl, thanks for the tag! And I'll pass it along soon...

Sciencemama, *your* location is beautiful! I've only been there once, but it was very very pretty.