Friday, August 22, 2008

Summer time

The sunlight fails earlier these days, blue dusk falling and shadows stretching into what once seemed endless hours of golden light. It’s now fully dark when Bean-girl goes to sleep, and her complaints of “But it’s still light!” no longer hold water. The teachers in my mothers’ group are already in the midst of curriculum training and preparation for the new school year. In a few short years, I’ll be preparing my own girls for school, buying notebooks and pencils and backpacks and new fall clothes (well, the fall clothes I can do already, at least!)

I cannot believe the summer is already passing. It seems I say that with the passing of every season. Each turn of the seasons leaves me slightly melancholy; even the passage of winter into spring had something bittersweet about it this year: that fragile new beginning, the vulnerable first buds of green and chill, unsettled winds. Now we tip into fall, the beginning of the earth’s long sleep. Soon this golden summer will be sealed and packed away, like the summer dresses and shorts that I’ll fold and put in untouched drawers and boxes.

For now, we have summer frozen in our refrigerator, in the form of homemade popsicles. My wonderful husband searched online and found rocket ship popsicle molds for the kids. Bean-girl loves pouring fruit juices in the molds. Both Bean-girl and Legume love the frozen results. Slurping them down on our back deck—soon another summer memory.





3 comments:

ScienceMama said...

Oh my freaking goodness! I can't believe how big Baby Legume has gotten! She's huge! And gorgeous. Oh my, this made my day.

Thank you for sharing!

The bean-mom said...

Actually, she's less than 5 percentile in weight for her age! But these days she indeed seems huge to me =)

mama of the valley said...

cool popsicle molds!