Saturday, September 6, 2008

Change of seasons

I start my new job this Monday.

I’ve delayed writing about this, for fear of somehow jinxing it. Because, you know, the final background check could turn up the evil doppelganger bean-mom who shares my name and has been convicted of several felonies. And then the offer would be rescinded, and I’d have proof of my umemployability and would have to cry into my pillow at night. There were so many false starts and stops in the whole application process. Hiring for a staff position at this institute certainly involves more buearacracy than hiring a postdoc at my former institution (they even do a credit check!) . But it looks like I really do have the job, and I start this Monday.

I have been hired as a science editor/writer for a large laboratory at a nonprofit research institute. The principal investigator of the laboratory has a joint appointment with an overseas institute, where he runs an even larger lab. The majority of his scientists (both in the States and abroad) are not native English speakers (no surprise, of course). And so I have been hired to help his students and postdocs prepare and polish their manuscripts for publication. I will also help out with the preparation of grant proposals, although that is expected to be secondary to the task of manuscript editing.

I’m excited, of course, and also a bit nervous about how this change will affect my family. Due to childcare issues, I will work only part-time this month, and then switch to full-time in October (when a full-time daycare slot opens up for Baby Legume). I’m thankful that my family and I will be able to ease into this change. Both Bean-girl and Legume have been going part-time to their daycare center for some time now. They are both doing well at the center, and this week the only change will be lengthened hours and an additional day.

There are other changes coming up, though. The entire daycare center is relocating to a new building this month. Baby Legume will soon be transitioning from the older infant room to the young toddler room (I can’t believe it!) Bean-girl is starting her first ballet class next Saturday (not my idea, but her best friend is going and Bean-girl wants to go as well. She keeps standing on one leg and calling herself a ballerina.) AND my husband and I will be leaving at the end of September for a brief couples’ getaway—the first time we have ever been away overnight from both our daughters. The first time we’ve gotten away together, since Baby Legume was born.

Big changes.

That’s life, I suppose. Last week I saw the first red maples, and this week I saw yellow leaves blowing across the road. The temperature abruptly dipped, and it’s already sweater weather; the bean girls are sleeping in long pajamas tonight. The seasons have shifted; we are sliding into fall. Those long, unstructured days of summer sun and warmth are gone.

But I’m excited about the change of seasons. Nervous, yes, and with recurring flutters of trepidation and doubt. But I’m very much looking forward to seeing how this will all play out.

7 comments:

Candid Engineer said...

Congrats on the job, Bean-Mom! I hope that all of the transitioning goes smoothly.

ScienceGirl said...

This is great, congrats! Sounds like you've thought about the transition ahead of time and are helping your girls ease into it. I hope everyone adjusts to the changes well, and you get to enjoy a little bit of the Fall weather in the process!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Congratulations - awesome news! It's great that you get to go back gradually

ScienceMama said...

I am SOOOO happy for you! Congratulations on the new job! You're going to be a perfect fit, and it sounds like a great career move! I am so happy for you.

I too am feeling wistful as we move into fall, though I haven't had much time for reflection. At least, not on the things that really matter.

Don't you love fall? I do. Bean is also in long pajamas now (since she refuses to sleep under a blanket).

ScientistMother said...

Yay! I am so happy for you. It must be so exciting and its so great that you get to transition slowly into the lab. Woot Woot. Huge happy hugs!

EcoGeoFemme said...

Congratulations on the job! I hope you love it and that all the transitions go well.

PA said...

HUGE congratulations! I can't wait to read more about your new position. Thanks for letting us know that sometimes good things do happen.