Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Quick post on new job

The bean children were awful the night before my first day on the job. They took turns waking up every few hours, and both ended up in bed with Husband and I. Where they both flailed and flopped about. Baby Legume kicked Bean-girl in the face, making her cry. They settled down. . . then Bean-girl started loudly crying for her stuffed penguin (which was right next to her), making the baby cry. Fun times.

But I got to work on time, found the visitor parking lot, spent the obligatory time with human resources. . . I'll have to spend another post comparing my initial impressions of work at a traditional academic research center with work here at this private, nonprofit research center. I will say here that this institute is physically absolutely gorgeous. And the core facilities, and IT support and infrastructure, are incredible.
And. . . I am supposed to be helping with an RO1 due Oct 5! None of which is yet written! Is the PI kidding me?!!
(off to bed now. . .)

6 comments:

Mimi said...

gratz on surviving day one... Hope the rest of the week goes by with a tad more sleep!

ScientistMother said...

I was crossing my fingers the bean-girls would be ok....but you had to know that something would happen before the first day, its murphy's law. Congratulations on making it through the first day. Very exciting to write the grant from scratch!

ScienceGirl said...

I find it very difficult to work with people that start writing at the very last moment; sorry you are having to deal with some of them too. But please do share the coping mechanisms as you utilize them!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Plenty of time! (Seriously, this is common practice around here, although I haven't done an R01 yet)

Glad your first impressions were good!

ScienceMama said...

Ha! Sounds like par for the course for PIs... I HATE procrastination (though I seem to do it a lot more often these days).

I hope you got a little more sleep last night!

The bean-mom said...

Cath,

You know, I THOUGHT you would say something like this. "Plenty of time?" Hopefully so! =)

And everyone: thanks for the good wishes. Baby Legume is now full-blown sick with a cold. Murphy's Law, yes. I'm gonna be busy this weekend with a sick baby and an RO1...