Saturday, November 22, 2008

Random tidbits and memes

  • Every time I say the word “blister,” Baby Legume stretches open her palms and stares at her little blistered fingers. It is both the saddest and cutest thing.
  • I love the way Bean-girl insists on calling McDonald’s (the fast-food chain) “Old McDonald’s” (from the children’s song).
  • Sometimes, I really love McDonald’s. Like earlier this week, when Husband brought home Happy Meals and Big Macs and dinner was done!

    Baby Legume still has her hand-foot- and-mouth disease, and is now developing a cold on top of that, courtesy of the Bean-girl. Bean-girl’s cold has now infected the bean parents. I don’t have the energy for a coherent post. So it’s time to do a meme!

    And I have two memes today. The first is from Sciencegirl, and I think I was tagged with it ages ago.

    Six things meme

    The rules:
    Link to the person who tagged you.2. Post the rules on your blog.3. Write 6 random things about yourself.4. Tag 6 people at the end of your post and link to them.5. Let each person you have tagged know by leaving a comment on their blog.6. Let the tagger know when your entry has posted.

    My random six things.

    1. I fear that I am a Luddite.
    I do not own and have never even used an iPod. I only just registered for a Facebook account (pressured into it by my youngest sister). Computers and technology intimidate me. When I had to use the confocal microscope as a postdoc I was always petrified that I would break something. (I really could have used Scientistmother’s help there). I do have this blog, but do you see any fancy templates, interesting doo-dads or bells and whistles here?

    2. When I was in kindergarten, I was asked to draw a picture of what I wanted to be when I grew up. I remember drawing a picture of a woman in a lab coat peering down a microscope. I said that I wanted to grow up to be a scientist.

    3. Despite that initial statement, I spent most of the rest of my youth (even up to college) telling people that I wanted to be a writer.

    4. I was a sci-fi/fantasy geek. And the “Lord of the Rings” remains my sacred text.

    5. I took my first college-level biology course only to please my parents, who wanted me to be pre-med. But to my surprise, I fell head-over-hells in love with molecular biology.

    6. I want to start writing fiction again.

    The second meme is from fabulous new blogger, Ambivalent Academic. This meme makes me feel old.


    5 things I was doing 10 years ago:

    1. Falling in love with soon-to-be-Husband.
    2. Watching my first thesis project implode.
    3. Trying to come up with a viable second project (I did, and it produced two papers and my ticket out of grad school).
    4. Living in a tiny studio apartment that my sister referred to as a “hobbit-hole.”
    5. Eating lots of Subway sandwiches (I had a great fondness for the “cold-cut trio.”)

    5 things on my to-do list today:

    1. Finish this post.
    2. Come up with menu plan for the week and go grocery shopping.
    3. Laundry.
    4. Clean up the house a bit (ha!)
    5. Order photo presents of the kids for the grandparents.

5 snacks I love:

1. Cheese
2. Good bread.
3. Spring rolls (my mother's recipe)
4. Chips and guacamole
5. Anything salty and crispy.

5 things I would do if I was a millionaire:
Does it sound churlish to say that a million doesn’t go so far these days? Anyway if I had a free million I would:

1. Donate more to charity.
(Maybe start my own foundation? How far would a million go for that?)
2. Invest for my children’s futures.
3. Pay off my kid sister’s student loans.
4. Go to the Caribbean or any place warm for winter break.
5. Go on a mini Sarah Palin-style shopping spree (I’ve been meaning to update my wardrobe anyway)

5 places I've lived:

1. Tiny Midwestern town.
2. Los Angeles.
3. Large Midwestern city (large according to Midwestern standards)
4. Overrated college town.
5.Current under-the-radar, underrated location.

5 jobs I've had:

1. Research technician.
2. Postdoc.
3. Adjunct instructor/ “Visiting Lecturer” (take your pick of titles, the crappy pay is the same) at Regional State U.
4. Scientific writer and editor
5. Mom.

I think both of these memes have made their way around to most people I know. If you haven’t done one of these yet, and would like to, consider yourself tagged!

4 comments:

Ambivalent Academic said...

Care to share more about your current under-rated location?

Sorry if I caused you to feel old -- don't think you are though if the thesis was ~10 years ago. Besides, look what you've got to show for the last 10 years - there's Bean and Legume and a fabulous science writer gig. Not bad I say.

The bean-mom said...

Awwwww, that's awfully kind of you, Ambivalent!

Underrated location is in the Midwest, one of those "second-tier" cities. Of course, to the coastal snobs (I met many in grad school), any place in the Midwest is considered second-tier!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Wow, I don't think I knew what a scientist was when I was of kindergarten age! I wanted to be a vet until I was about 13...

rana said...

thanks for thinking of ma loans!