Thursday, August 20, 2009

Talking Legume

Suddenly, in the midst of baby babble, fully formed sentences started appearing. At first we were unsure—is she just parroting us? Repeating without understanding? But now Legume is talking in full force. I’d say about half of what she says is intelligible and the other half is clearly intended as coherent language—we’re just too dumb to understand it.

“Ah wan jaba gooba,” she tells me intently, looking me right in the eye.

Um, you want something, Legume? I can’t understand what you’re saying.

“Ah wan jaba gooba,” she repeats more insistently.

Bean-girl, can you understand what you’re sister is saying?

“AH WAN JABA GOOBA!”

Um, here have a cookie instead.

That cheers her up and makes her instantly forget about the mysterious jaba gooba.

Then she walks into the kitchen and tells me, apropos of nothing, “Ah wan slurpee!”

Oh, this I understand. No slurpee now. Slurpees from the 7-eleven are special treats. We can get slurpees another day.

“Slurpees anotha day!” she beams and walks contentedly away.

She has, mysteriously, picked up a Southern accent. “Mah teddy beah!” (translation: My teddy bear) she cries in the breathy drawl of a southerner. “Mah bicycle! Mah panda! Mah toothbrush! Mah, mah, mah!”

“I like mommy!” she proclaimed the other day. “I like sister! I like tissue box! I like Daddy!”

“Oh, great, I rank below the tissue box,” her father said.

5 comments:

ScientistMother said...

isn't it crazy how they wake up one day and are suddenly speaking in sentences. I'm amazed at how much monkey has changed in the 2 weeks he's been at home. Full sentences, imagination running rampant, experimenting and reasoning. So fun, yet sad...

ruchi said...

Hey, that tissue box is important!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

CUTE!

Jaba Gooba = apple juice, maybe?

I can't wait for my friends' kids to start walking and talking and generally being a bit more interactive.

Legume actually sounds a bit like I do first thing in the morning. I say things like "whoshtimeist?" Sometimes words fail me entirely and I gesticulate and point at things (usually the kettle) in a beseeching way, while Mr E Man laughs and says "use your words". 10 minutes later and I'm fine!

Eva said...

Hi Bean Mom, you don't know me, but Cath (above - hellooo!) recommended I contacted you about a particular specific question. I can't find an e-mail address on your site, so can you perhaps drop me a line: eva [at] easternblot.net

Mimi said...

This had me giggling quite uncontrollably. Thank you!