Sunday, January 9, 2011

New Year's resolutions: 2011 edition

I have one resolution for this New Year. Just one. To fit in two 30 min work-outs a week. It's now Jan 10, and I can grandly say that I've kept this up for an entire week. With discipline, I might even be able to keep this up for a month!

(It helps enormously that my Institute has opened a small fitness center in the basement. Really, I don't have any excuses now.)

I was fairly pleased at how my resolutions for 2010 worked out. I might not have kept all of those up for an entire year, but I did have a good run at them, and I did actually cross several off my list.

GOALS FROM 2010

Health goals

--Exercise at least 2-3 times a week.
--Take a pilates/yoga class (went to the first class last week—public humiliation).
--Eat more fruits, veggies and whole grains.

During my five month stay-at-home stint, I actually did all those things. I took a combination Pilates/yoga/tai chi class which was utterly humiliating for the first three sessions. By the end, I found that I really enjoyed it, and of late I've found myself missing it. I would love to take a class like that again, but there is simply no logistical way to fit it in.

Creative writing goals

--Finish second short story, send out to some trusted readers, eventually submit and hopefully publish somewhere.

--Start a new story.

--Revise and submit a very old story.

--Try daily journaling/writing.


I finished that short story, sent it out to a trusted reader, and realized it just didn't work. It's still sitting in my desk drawer.

I started and completed a new story. Score! Was accepted to a small, but up-and-coming online literary journal.

Revised very old story, submitted it to a few literary journals, got some form rejections and one seemingly nice rejection.

Daily writing? HA! This blog is as close as it gets.

Home goals (domesticity)

--Sort and donate old clothing (done!)

--Sort, get rid of, organize the toys taking over our house.

--Organize the home office

--Print and organize backlog of family photos

Progress on these home goals? HA HA HA HA!!!

Yes friends, I'll be pretty pleased with myself if I can just keep up a weak workout routine for the next year.

4 comments:

Cloud said...

I miss yoga, too. And the martial arts classes I did before I had kids. I suspect I'll find a way to bring yoga back in once I'm working again, but the martial arts... that might have to wait until the kids are a little bit older.

And don't even get me started on the toys that have taken over our house. Or the kids clothing that I just can't stay on top of!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

I bought a Groupon for a month of unlimited yoga classes - but realised just before going for my first session that I should probably buy a DVD and practise a bit at home first before humiliating myself too much in public! I'm planning to start this weekend, do 2 or 3 sessions at home, and then activate the month of unlimited sessions.

Good luck with all your goals! I make my resolutions at the spring equinox instead, but I have managed to kick-start my lagging exercise habits in the mean time. I even went for a run this morning (and then almost threw up. Oh well, it's a start).

The bean-mom said...

Cloud--*Sigh.* I keep telling myself that one day I will get back to certain things (like a yoga class) when the kids are older...

Oh, and Cath--going for a jog and then almost throwing up? Did that just last week!

swtor credits said...

I'm preparing to begin this weekend, do a few of or three sessions at home, after which activate the thirty days of limitless sessions.
What can we do when we have many boring free time? How about try to get access to the online games? When we talk about the game, we need to talk about the WOW Gold. As the WOW is the world's most famous online game,all of us knows that we have to get the Cheap RS Gold to save money !