Monday, March 25, 2013

Sunday drabble



Sunday afternoon, a tired Legume snuggling in bed beside me.

Legume: Tell me a story.

Me: Uh, okay. (thinks a moment) Once upon a time there was a land where it was always day; the sun always hung in the sky. The birds in that land had feathers of fire.  The people wore bright clothes and were merry and ate hot, spicy food.
       But across the mountains, unknown to the people of the Valley of the Sun, there was another land. And in that land it was always night. But the night wasn’t scary, for a full, bright moon always hung in the sky. And the people of that land wore night and moon-colored clothes: clothes of white and silver and black and deep blue. And they were a cool and quiet people. They—

Legume: And they have a war.
Me: A war? You mean, you want the two peoples to have a war?

Legume: The  moon-people and the sun-people have a war because the moon-people think their moon is the best and the sun-people think their sun is the best.

Me: Okaaaay. . . (Pause).  So the two countries went to war. But a boy from the Valley of the Moon fell in love with a girl from the Valley of the Sun. And they ran off together, away from the fighting and their families, and they found a new country, a country with both day and night, where both sun and moon shared the sky.  And they had babies and founded a new people and lived happily ever after.
      There. Do you think that’s a good story?

Legume: Yeah, that’s a good story.

4 comments:

chall said...

awww. It doesn't have to be a war btw differences but I guess most of the time there are diffuiculties.

good ending. I like the ending :)

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

I love the story! Your kids are wonderfully weird :)

The bean-mom said...


Chall, I'm a sucker for a happy ending =)

Cath, my kids really *are* wonderfully weird! Legume is obsessed with battles and war. She has a number of toy swords, and we let her watch too many superhero cartoons. If I were a different kind of parent I'd be wringing my hands over all this pretend violence. . . As it is, I have a fantasy of dressing her up as Arya Stark for Halloween =)

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Why wait for Halloween?!