Thursday, April 4, 2013

New fiction publication



I'm on vacation, having a fabulous time visiting friends and family, including my new baby nephew.

And I thought I'd also just toot my own horn. Vacations seem to bring good news for me on the fiction front.  On my last vacation, I received word that my fantasy tale, "Snow's Daughter," had been accepted for publication at New Myths.

And now it's just gone live. 

Unfortunately, I seem unable to link directly to the story. But if you'd like to take a look, you can click on the above link to the journal, click on top for Issue 22 (the latest issue), and then scroll down the table of contents for "Snow's Daughter."

Yes, I'm blowing my pseudonymity. I'm leaving scientific research--what do I care anymore?

Also, I received word this week of another story acceptance--this time at the wonderful science-in-culture webzine, LabLit

And now I'm off to get ready for a meeting with friends, and then an afternoon with my new nephew. It's our final day here in the San Francisco bay area. Next day we board a plane back to the Midwest and reality.

Yes, it's been a good vacation.

13 comments:

Julie R said...

Congrats!

chall said...

woho! Congrats on both accounts!

(and thanks for a link to new place, I haven't seen NewMyths before. It seems wonderful, lots of things to read!!)

Alyssa said...

Congrats!

Amanda@Lady Scientist said...

Congrats!

The bean-mom said...


Thanks, everyone! Amanda, I see it's a while since you've posted--hope all is well!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

OK, I finally read it - sorry for the delay! I confess it took me a few paragraphs to get into it - it's not a genre I read very much at all - but once I was in I absolutely loved it! A fresh take on an old theme, and you did a great job with the descriptive passages - I can really "see" the palace and the village. Congratulations again, and may it be the first of many!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

p.s. you need a Twitter account, to promote your writing if nothing else. SRSLY.

The bean-mom said...


Cath,

Thanks--I'm so glad you liked it!

And AARRRG! No, NOT Twitter! I have been deliberately avoiding Twitter, because I fear it would be overload for my overstimulated Facebook-addicted/blog-checking/Tumblr-reading brain. You know, the thing that just tips me right over the edge.

But I'll think about it =)

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

A writer's guide to Twitter

I will spread my addiction, I WILL! Consider it payback for the amount of time I've lost to GoT :)

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

AND AND AND if you were on Twitter today you'd have seen things like this and this and even this.

YOU ARE MISSING OUT!

The bean-mom said...


Cath,

Oh, I would rather have been at the *real* GoT party. More for the lemon cakes and company than anything, actually =)

Cloud said...

I just read your story, and really liked it! I'll include it in my weekend links this week.

Have you thought about trying to self-publish some stories as Kindle Singles? I love Kindle Singles....

But of course, the problem with self-publishing is that then you have to self-promote. And that can be tough.

The bean-mom said...


Cloud,

Thanks so much! I'm glad you liked it!

Yes, I've thought of self-publishing. Not right now, when I'm just starting to write. I want to make it in the pro-level journals! But if/when I ever complete a sufficient body of work, then yes maybe then I could get a digital collection of stories together.

Or get picked up a mainstream publisher and become the next George Saunders =)

I haven't actually bought any Kindle Singles yet; I admit that I'm still a traditionalist when it comes to reading. I think you posted some of your favorite Kindle Singles in a post a while back?

Ugh, yes self-promotion would be tough. Even with friends to help =) (Thank you for your link, by the way!)